It has been months since the initial outbreak of COVID-19 occurred and people are scouring for preventive measures which steam inhalation has become a choice. But, is it really safe and effective? Does it help with clearing the lungs?
What is Steam Inhalation?
When it comes to home remedies in ancient times, steam inhalation or steam therapy is popular. It appears to provide soothing effects and relieve symptoms from sinus, mild coughs, and colds.
The warmth which comes from the water vapor moistens the air and loosens up the mucus blocking the breathing passages. Has alleviating effects for inflammation and swollen blood vessels too!
There are indeed many debates regarding steam inhalation as a possible treatment for coronavirus. However, by doing the precautionary methods alleviate mild cold and cough symptoms and offer some health advantages as well.
Doctors are also sharing that it is an exceptional tool for diseases that involve respiratory illnesses. A former professor and physician in Cebu, Philippines, Dr. Dale Pasco shares his interest in a steam inhalation therapy to mitigate COVID-19.
What are these health benefits?
- It improves the function of the respiratory system.
- Blood circulation is better.
- Cleanses up the skin’s pores.
- Eases nose clogging, sinusitis attacks, and others.
- It offers comfort and relaxes the person.
- Great for aromatherapy!
How to do it?
There are devices that you can buy online for the process. The most common way to do it is by using a basin full of hot water with the addition of herbs or essential oils.
When should you start the steam therapy?
- It has to be between mealtime schedules, approximately an hour or more before and after meals.
- Do you enjoy regular exercise? Rest before doing the procedure.
- The area should have no drafts and you are seated comfortably.
- Pour the boiled water CAREFULLY inside the device
- Inhale the vapor within the timeframe of 5 to 10 minutes.
- The water must not be too hot to bare or to inhale.
What devices you can use?
- Compressor inhaler
What to do after?
- It is important to rest after the procedure for at least 30 minutes. You may opt to lie down and the blanket covering you.
- Consuming cold drinks is not encouraged but, warm beverages like ginger, lemon, chamomile tea are wonderful choices.
- It is essential to rest and not strain yourself after the steam inhalation therapy for at least an hour.